Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Just do the following:
1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a random page
3. Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
She looked at him, her eyebrows arched with disbelief. “You’re telling me I’ve been plucked from a falling aeroplane and sent back in time to join a team of… of time cops, and my job ends up being exactly what I used to do?”
– page 88, TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow
An odd thought occurred to him. He wondered if the ancient Greek hero, Achilles, had merely been a support unit like Bob, caught somehow in the siege of Troy, his presence unintentionally becoming a part of history.
– page 330, TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow
The above snippets are from the perspective of two of the newly recruited TimeRiders, plucked out of their own times moments before their inevitable death. The first is Maddy, an American from 2010 who works as a computer analyst; and the second is Liam, an Irish cabin steward who worked on a certain liner in 1912…
I love alternative histories, so this really tickled my fancy. Scarrow has handled the ever-present problem of paradox very well. If you like sci-fi, time travel and a smattering of alternative history, then this is the book for you. You’ll find it in the teen/young adult section, but don’t let that put you off!