If you worry that consumerism equals a whole load of waste that damages the environment, you might be interested to hear about Buy Nothing Day. It’s the simplest concept in the world; for one day only don’t buy anything. It’s easy – you just don’t go to the shops, you don’t spend any money, you don’t come home with a load of new stuff. For one day you’ll be saving your money and saving the environment, because if you’re not spending money, chances are you’re not going to use the car to go to the shops (saving on petrol and its damaging effect) and you’re not bringing home a lot of packagnig that will be going into the waste.
Even if you do go out, there are LOADS of ways to not spend money. Here are just a few:
- Don’t get on the bus or use the car – go for a walk instead
- Don’t go to the pub – invite your friends round for drinks instead
- Don’t go out to a restaurant – have a home-cooked meal instead
- Don’t buy a new outfit – swap an outfit with a friend (or have a swap-meet with loads of friends and get several new outfits for free!)
- Check out what’s available for FREE near you – visit museums and art galleries, or if it’s a nice day, go to the park and have a kick-about with a ball
And if you really can’t bring yourself not to buy anything at all, check out Amazero and buy Nothing online (it’s absolutely free!). I have already “bought” my nothing and received an email telling me:
Your Nothing is now being hand-crafted by a dedicated team of Nobodies in our factory in Nada-nadaland.
– 1 x Nothing
– Cost: £0.00
– Delivery estimate: 30 November 2009 (Monday)
– Dispatch estimate: 26 November 2009 (Thursday)
– Sold by: Nothing Ventures, Nothing Gains Ltd.
Thank you for shopping with us.
Do your pocket and the world a favour and BUY NOTHING, just for one day! And when you DO buy something (the day before, the day after, or whenever), ask yourself the following questions (from Buy Nothing Day UK site):
- Do I need it?
- How many do I already have?
- How much will I use it?
- How long will it last?
- Could I borrow it from a friend or family member?
- Am I able to clean and/or maintain it myself?
- Will I be able to repair it?
- Am I willing to?
- Have I researched it to get the best quality for the best price?
- How will I dispose of it when I’m done using it?
- Are the resources that went into it renewable or nonrenewable?
- Is it made from recycled materials, and is it recyclable?
Edit: Today (25/11/09) I received another email regarding my purchase of Nothing that reads:
I regret to inform you there has been a problem with your order (Reference: D1DDLY5QUAT).
A disgruntled former employee of Nothing Ventures, Nothing Gains Ltd snuck into our Nada-nadaland factory last week and tampered with the seals on all our Nothings.
We take non-product safety extremely seriously, and so have issued a worldwide product recall of Nothing effective immediately.
We’re afraid nobody will be getting Nothing for the immediate future.
Please bear with us at this difficult time – we will send Nothing to you as soon as possible.
Thank you for your understanding.
Junior Deputy Vice-manager-in-chief, Non-Product Safety Division, Nothing Ventures, Nothing Gains Ltd
Edit: Today (26/11/09) I received yet another email regarding my order of Nothing:
We are delighted to inform you that Nothing has been dispatched and delivered to your home address.
If you can’t find it, check your doorstop, letterbox and porch for Nothing.
*What’s good for Nothing*
Being an owner of Nothing brings with it a lot of responsibility.
To make the most of Nothing, you’ll need to keep it in tip-top condition – experts recommend that beeswax and/or linseed oil are good for Nothing. You can also choose from our wide range of Nothing accessories. With everything from Nothing Tops to Go-Nowhere-stripes to pick from, why not get something for Nothing today?
*A life of Nothing*
Good aftercare and sensible accessorising will ensure you enjoy Nothing – and, with just a little bit of effort, you can guarantee that Nothing’s gonna change your world.
Thank you for shopping with us.