I adapted another recipe from CBeebies I Can Cook (Savoury Bites) as a) I don’t like chives and b) cooking them the length of time suggested in the original recipe left them a little underdone.
Feta Mini Scones
Prep time: 10minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
200g self raising flour
50g soft butter
50g feta cheese
1tsp dried basil
- Pre-heat oven to 220C
- Rub the butter and flour together till it reaches a crumbly consistency
- Add the basil, crumble in the feta and gently mix through
- Gradually add the milk and mix with a knife to make a dough (I used my Grom’s trusty chop-chop-stir method) and lightly knead it together
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to ½ cm thickness
- Cut out using a small-to-medium sized cookie cutter (I have three sizes and used my medium one and got sixteen mini scones)
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray, brush with a little milk and bake for 15 minutes until lightly golden
- Cool on a rack and serve
These were delightfully simple to make. As I mentioned at the beginning, I don’t like chives, so I made an executive decision and added dried basil to the recipe as it goes rather well with feta cheese. The cooking time stated in the original recipe (8-10 minutes) left the scones a tad underdone, so I popped them back in for another five minutes and they turned out fine.
These little beauties smell heavenly! The texture of the scones is lovely and light and the feta, despite generally being quite a strong flavour, is very delicate and complemented very well by the addition of the basil. This recipe will definitely be going in my recipe book with a big gold star next to it as I know I’ll be making these time and time again! A tasty 5/5!