Time to try my hand at another round of baked treats! I found the basic recipe at CBeebies I Can Cook (Katie’s Shortbread) and modified it a little because a) I wanted to make more of them and b) I didn’t have glace cherries so I decided to make chocolate chip ones instead.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread
Prep Time: 5-10minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
120g plain flour
40g caster sugar
30g chocolate chips
1tsp vanilla essence
- Preset oven to 180C
- Rub butter and flour together
- Add sugar, chocolate chips and vanilla essence and mix
- Squeeze the dough together (if it isn’t holding as well as you’d like, try adding a tiny drop of milk, but only a tiny drop!)
- Roll out on a floured surface to about 5mm thick (or until you can “feel” the chocolate chips when you’re rolling) and cut out with a cookie cutter (then recombine scraps, roll out again and cut more rounds till all the dough is used up)
- Place shortbread rounds on a lightly greased baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes
- Cool on a rack
This recipe is ludicrously simple – almost impossible to get wrong! The dough came together and rolled out smoothly and smelled divine when baking. I was also pleased with how they tasted – sweet and chocolaty, but not too sweet or overpoweringly chocolaty, which is always good, and the texture was soft and light. All in all a very pleasant shortie, but not a “crisp” shortbread biscuit as I was expecting (that is where it loses a point). Still, overall I very much like these and will most likely make them again, at least until I find a “crisp” shortbread recipe! I’d rate this one 4/5.